This qualification is designed to enable and encourage learners to develop an ability to communicate with Deaf people using British Sign Language in a range of familiar contexts, participating in longer and more open-ended exchanges than at Level 1. The course will develop functional communication in BSL about a range of real life, routine, and daily experiences. The learner will be able to deal with most routine language tasks and have sufficient grasp of grammar to cope with some non-routine tasks.
Learners should be taught a number of regional variations in sign language.
The specification has been designed to be consistent with the National Language Standards at Level 2.
Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language is suitable for those who:
• wish to acquire language skills at an intermediate level to enhance communication with Deaf people;
• are Deaf and wish to gain a qualification in their native language;
• are family, friends and colleagues of Deaf people;
• wish to progress from Level 1 study in BSL, and who may wish to progress to more advanced levels of study in BSL at a later date;
• are studying for personal development.